Oct 26, 2009

Part VI: Death of a Cripple

October 7, 1956 2:36 AM


After the rumble, Dally convinced Ponyboy to visit Johnny in the hospital. "He's getting worse," he told us. He took Ponyboy to the hospital. We arrived home, but we didn't party like we planned. I wasn't feeling in a party mood for two reasons. One, Johnny was dying. Two, Sandy sent my letter back unopened. We just sat around, drinking and smoking. There wasn't much to do. We just fixed up each other's cuts, bruises and injuries. After about an hour, Ponyboy returned to us, crying. He told us what happened when he went to visit Johnny.
When they arrived at the hospital, the doctor stopped them from entering because Johnny was getting worse. Dally pulls out Two-Bit's switchblade and forced their way into the room. When they arrived at Johnny's side, Dally told him that they won the rumble. Johnny's response was "Useless... fighting's no good". He then told Ponyboy "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold." Those were his last words. Dally was devastated at the loss of his best friend. He hit the wall, begging Johnny not to be dead. Then all of a sudden he bolted out of the room, down the hall, and left.
I was afraid at this news. "Now that Johnny's dead, the only person he loved, who knows what he's going to do?" I asked.
"Dally can take care of himself." Two-Bit said. "But what did Johnny mean by 'Stay gold'?"
I saw it in Pony's eyes that he knew, but he said he didn't understand. I decided I'd try to find out. I just hope Dally's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment